The Order | First Blood

Had a couple of tourny practice games with a mate over the weekend. My Order army vs his Destruction.

First game he took;
 40 Moonclan Grots,
5 Spider Riders
Goblin Boss on Gigantic Spider,
Goblin Boss on Foot,
Goblin Shaman
10 Wolf Riders.

I took;

1 Witch Hunter
20 Freeguild Guard with Halberds,
10 Greatswords
10 Freeguild Archers
3 Demigryph Knights
1 Celestial Hurricanum

I got first turn, and moved everything up, used the archers bonus "scout" move to get into cover ready to shoot when in range next turn. The idea of moving things forward was to get my shooting in range asap, as well as get into favourable positions. In his turn he moved everything forward too.

I believe he got the double turn and ran most things forward. In my turn I managed to wedge my halberdiers in two ranks right in the middle of the board, between the impassable rocks of the hill and ruins which the archers were in. Shooting and hurricanum attacks managed to kill two of the trolls, with my archers killing the final one in combat later in the game. I got my demigryphs into his Goblin boss on Gigantic Spider and dispatched him before he could strike, removing his buff to the nearby spider riders (mortal wounds on 5 as well as 6's).





 His turn 3 he charged everything in. Wolf riders into the greatswords, remaining troll into the archers, Goblin horde into the Halberds, and spider riders into the demigryphs.




Long story short I eventually wiped out his whole army!

Game 2 we both switched up the armies to varying degrees, he took a totally different one with just orcs;

1 warboss on wyvern,
30 Orcs,
10 ardboyz,
20 savage Orcs
1 Orc Boss on foot.

I switched out 10 Halberds to "upgrade my witch hunter to a freeguild general.

1 Freeguild general,
10 Freeguild Guard with Halberds,
10 archers,
10 Greatswords
3 Demigryphs,
1 Celestial Hurricanum

I lost this one, focused my early shooting into the wyvern, which got into my hurricanum eventually, which the wizard on the top promptly hit it with his staff knocking it dead! The rest of the battle didn't go so well however, the archers followed by the freeguild guard were overwhelmed by the 30 orcs in the centre. On the left flank I used hold the line on the Greatswords a turn too early, which meant they couldn't move to react to the savage orcs, who charged the greatswords the next turn, as well as the remaining orcs from the big unit. The demis eventually wiped out the 10 ardboyz (which I was impressed with!) but were too late to do anything else.

Overall, I think the first list I used was stronger than the second, with more bodies trumping the +1 to hit and wound from the freeguild general.























Comments

Popular Posts